Monday, July 8, 2013

Running With Scissors Pt. 3

Original photo by Steve
RWS is a serial fantasy story that posts every Monday following Danielle, a regular girl stuck in an irregular world where unicorns serve as judge and jury, gnomes have infested the south district, and a minor god reports the weather on the nightly news. 

See the whole list of blogs here.

--//--

Part 3

The two dragon guards, purple and green, walked me through the narrow hallways of the office. We passed cubicles full of dragon-people, their wings sticking up over the walls like oddly shaped Christmas decorations. The sounds were strangely office-like. Phones, paper, typing keyboards. When a dragon lands on your street corner to take you away you don't really expect them to bring you to the local Bank and Trust.

We crowded into a human-sized elevator. Purple curled his tail around his feet like a cat. Green folded his wings down over his shoulders, an iridescent cloak exactly the right length.We only went up one floor. Penthouse. The doors opened and I stepped back against the wall of the elevator. There were no walls or cubicles here, just support beams and windows from edge to edge. A black and bronze dragon lounged in the far corner, far too large to be stuck indoors and yet she lay there, tapping a single claw delicately against a tablet on the floor beside her. Her tongue was forked. It stuck out to the side, curled in concentration.

"I can't do this." The guards didn't care. They took me by the shoulders and there isn't any fighting a dragon when he wants you to go somewhere, let alone two. I shook my phone again. It rang. I almost dropped it in surprise. The phone number was a line of twos all the way across. I answered it. "Hello?"

"I honestly had no idea choosing a phone number was so difficult. I hope this one isn't taken by someone else, there were just too many options."

It was the dragon ghost. I looked at the phone. No reception. All twos. I didn't know what to say. "No, it's not taken."

"Oh, good. This seems to be a nice place, a little cramped but I'll be cozy, I think."

"Good. That's good." That was good, right? The guards stopped me in front of the Queen. She was too large to see all at once and I couldn't stop panning my head back and forth to keep her all in sight. "Um." I said to the ghost. "Now's good. Whatever you know. Please tell me now."

The Queen looked up from her tablet. Her muzzle alone was as long as I was tall. There were a lot of teeth inside. Her gold eyes pinned me to the floor. "WHAT IS THE CURE?"

I staggered backward and fell on my ass. My ears rang. Everything was just noise and the word Cure echoing around in the blank spaces. I didn't even think she was yelling.

The ghost in my phone said, "She's pregnant."

Part 4 or All Chapters

--//--

Support Running With Scissors on Patreon or sign up for my newsletter for exclusive coupons and advanced notice of published stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment